I’m alive! And I owe it all to this feisty feline.
– Homer Simpson
Our dishwasher was a dozen years old, so it was time for a new one.
Taking out the old dishwasher was simple. Back when we remodeled the kitchen, I installed an isolation valve on the water line to facilitate dishwasher removal. I was surprised and pleased to find that the valve still worked. The waste pipe was removed, and then I turned off the electrical supply, which is on a dedicated circuit.
The new dishwasher arrived, and the people who brought it hauled the old one away.
So, now all I had to do was install the new one. An easy process, and just the reverse of removing the old one.
First, I hooked up the water and waste pipes and taped them to the floor next to the electrical wires, so they would be in place after the dishwasher had been pushed into position.
The connections are all done at the bottom of the dishwasher near the front. There’s a removable front panel that is only held on with a couple of screws. Once it’s off, all the connections are easy to get to.
The waste pipe connects to a short pipe, and is held in place with a spring clip, and the water supply pipe is connected to the input via a brass elbow.
The electrical supply wires are connected inside a box at the front right.
Once it was all connected, I attached the dishwasher to the underside of the countertop with screws. The dishwasher has some loops attached for this purpose. I made sure the front of the dishwasher was flat with the cabinet fronts. Then, I turned on the water supply, restored power to the electrical outlet, and put the front panel back on.
Time for the test run, and it was all fine…except Mayya believes that there is a monster living in our kitchen now, because of some small animal-like noises that come from beneath the very quiet dishwasher. She’s keeping an eye on the situation.