I’ve got a plan! A plan that’ll fix you good…
– Homer Simpson
We are in the midst of moving our stuff so we can (finally) renovate the master bedroom. It’s always funny to me that just before we create a huge cloud of dust and rubble, we need to spend time clearing and organizing stuff. To make room for the chaos, you see. We’re sliding next door into Ben’s room while the master is out of commission.
We’ve never done much to our room — other spaces were a higher priority — but our exasperation finally put it on the to-do list. A few years ago, struggling with a lack of clothes storage, we purchased a Lane armoire (Craigslist!). It’s a nice piece of furniture, but it was a monumentally bad decision (mine) for our needs. Despite having more space than our prior dressers, it’s not great as drawer replacement. It’s dark inside, and clothes tend to draft toward the back, where they are even harder to see. We both end up with clothes draped on chairs and radiators so we’re not fumbling around in there all the time. Plus, it looms.
- Swap out the oversized radiator for a smaller unit.
- Remove the door and open up the wall so we can reframe the opening to install bifold and cabinet doors.
- Install new crown molding.
- Add a couple of new electrical outlets.
- Touch up room plaster and paint.
- Bring in a storage bed and swap out other furniture.
- New drapes, new lights, new bedding, etc.
No biggie, right?! Fingers crossed we’re done by summer. Will keep you posted.