I did not venture into lamp shade shapes or colors or textures or finials or such in my sizing a lampshade post. I am not a decorator, nor do I play one on TV. But I am a world champion Googler, so I have gathered some relevant resources from smart decor folks hither and yon.
- Different Types of Lamp Shades provides basic terminology and a little history about shade types.
- Lampshade Buying Tips has a glossary, ways to measure, info on harps and other mounting types, and selection guidelines.
- Lampshades for Every Shape (from the unsinkable Martha Stewart) demonstrates several classic shade/lamp pairings.
- How to Determine the Right Lamp Shade for a Lamp is a convenient guide to shape and other considerations like shade color and material. Plus, it’s from Apartment Therapy, so after reading that post, you can probably lose yourself for several hours in all the great pictures and ideas there.
- A little off-topic, but Shopping for Lightbulbs from the friendly federal government has some very useful info on lumens, light temperature, and different bulb types.